Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The More Gangsta, the better.


So...it's June. Which means my over-zealous workout Barbie goals of May are complete. Well kind of.

Let's review shall we.
I started the #1800minuteschallenge to complete 1800 minutes of physical activity in 60 days (which I know is technically much longer than just the month of May but it ended May 31 so I'm recapping it now.)
I also started #4weeksfit (I was all about a good hashtag challenge apparently) where I set specific fitness goals for the month of May.

And here we are, my hashtag challenge timeline expired and it's time to fess up.

I failed. I mean, I didn't complete them the way I had planned. I mean, I blew them out of the water.

I'm a very goal-oriented person. But I'm also a very indecisive person. I tend to make my goals as they're happening instead of before getting started.

For example...the challenge of timing my workouts and wanting to reach 1800 minutes kept me motivated to stick to a regular workout routine. But my goal shifted from focusing on the duration of the workout to the intensity of it. All of a sudden, I became more motivated and interested in increasing my running speed and distance. Which, coincidentally was one of my 4 Weeks Fit goals. I didn't reach 1800 minutes. I didn't really get back on track with my gluten-free diet. I did better and I'd say I'm sitting at a solid 70/30 60/40. #whompwhomp I didn't join a gym.

But even though I didn't reach those specific goals, I met others that I didn't even realize I had.
And I realized things about myself that I hadn't before. And isn't that really the point?

For example, I ran 47.75 total miles in the month of May.

My typical "run" is a 3 mile route.

And I can do it in about 26 minutes on average. Which is 3 minutes faster than my last 5K time.

That's huge stuff y'all.

Saturday I ran 5.5 miles in about 50 minutes. And yesterday I did 4.5 (with Willow) in about 40 min.

And it's kind of easy. I mean I still spend a good portion of the whole thing convinced I'm dying, but I haven't keeled over yet. I remember when running non-stop to my mom's house (exactly 1 mile away) felt like a hug accomplishment. Because it was. Now I just have bigger accomplishments.

Also, my sense of direction has gotten a lot better since I've started running. I've lived in New Bern my whole life but I'll admit, I still get turned around in certain areas and street names? Fuggeduhboutit. But now that I'm running, I'm a lot more aware of where I am and where I'm going. (Literally and figuratively I guess.)

I've also learned that I get really pumped up if I can listen to vulgar rap music while I run. #turndownforwhat

Sex, drugs, and alchy-hawl? Check. The more f-bombs the better. Sorry mom. It just is what it is.



~

Anyway...a little bit of bloggy chat for you. I realize that my posts lately have been a little sparse and probably a tad redundant. Right now I'm blaming in on the craziness that is the end of the school year.

But I have a confession to make....I don't need blogging like I used to and it shows.

When I started my blog I was in desperate need of an outlet. It was the end of my first year teaching, I was consumed by the stress and disappointment and reality of the career I had chosen for the rest of my life. Robbie and I had just moved back to our hometown and we're struggling with finding our "new grown-up" place in it. I was figuring out how to be a wife and share a home and pay real bills and take care of two very cute, but very needy dogs. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing and I needed something, un-school related to throw myself into for at least 30 minutes a day. And I did. And it worked. And I loved it.

Flash forward to now, the end of my third year teaching, my almost fourth year of marriage, and I'm in a completely different place in my life than I was two and half years ago. A better place. A more secure place. And in this place, I still love and enjoy blogging, but I don't need it and the "therapy" it provided for me like I used to. Which in a way is a bit of a celebration because I'm now more emotionally stable ha. But it is a change and I'm trying to carry the blog with me through that.

Like I said, I set and create goals as they're happening. So bear with me.


3 comments:

  1. You rock. You actually just made me miss running right now (and that's saying a lot). Also, don't feel bad about not blogging. I think a lot of people are feeling the same way, myself included. I feel like a lot of people have stopped and that's made the majority of the fun evaporate from the blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to listen to the hardest rap, too... nothing else gets me going. You're exactly right about not "needing" to blog. You put perfectly into words what I've been feeling over the last year in relation to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog the way it is now. You just popping in to celebrate something or other. Also? WAY TO GO with the workout goals. And I love you for your music--and that makes us besties, okay? I love that you also have to convince yourself you're not dying. J just started the C25k program (yes, this girl in her boot is STILL JEALOUS) but when he started I was like "You'll love it. Well, you'll hate it, but you'll love it. You feel like you're dying, but then you don't die." haha

    ReplyDelete