Monday, May 14, 2012

16/30: Accomplishments

16/30: What are you 5 greatest accomplishments (thus far)?


I added the thus far because I'd like to think that I have many more big accomplishments ahead of me.

1. Becoming a teacher - It's been the one dream I've had my entire life and the fact that it is now a reality is still mind blowing! 

2. Graduating college (with honors) - I know this kind of goes along with becoming a teacher but college was something I had worked for my whole life. Going to college, specifically going to NC State University, had been a goal set for myself since before I even started high school. I knew from a very young age that I would have to work hard and make good grades in order to go to the college I wanted to. The fact that I made that happen is a huge accomplishment for me. 

3. Making my own BIG purchases - having my name on a car title or a house deed is a HUGE deal to me. (Being the one responsible for the payment isn't quite as fun.) But knowing that I was mature and established enough to make such a huge decision is a big accomplishment.

4. Going to the doctor by myself - Okay, okay I know this one is silly, but over the past few years I've had to go to several different doctors a lot, often by myself. 

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, after dealing with 4 years of fuzzy diagnosis', trial medications, and various doctors. Since I was living in Raleigh when I first started having symptoms, I wanted to find a doctor up there. That meant leaving the comfort of my small-town doctor's office. Once I found a rheumatologist (that I loved), test results revealed that I needed to find an opthamologist, get regular blood work and x-rays done, and find a reliable pharmacist to fill all the prescriptions I was going to start taking. It was a bit overwhelming for a college sophomore. And honestly, it hasn't gotten much easier to swallow. I now have a new rheumatologist in Havelock and get Humira injections shipped to my house monthly. 

My point in all this, is that while I had the support of my family throughout the whole ordeal, every decision I had to make concerning my medical needs was MY decision to make. I think it's a big accomplishment to look at all the facts and options and make the most beneficial decision, despite the bad news you've just been given. Ultimately, I feel like I smartly weighed my options and made the best decision.

5. Surviving my first-year of teaching - While becoming a teacher alone is a big accomplishment, getting through this first year (16 days left my friends) will possibly overcome every other accomplishment. I'm so proud of myself for reaching my ultimate goal of becoming a teacher. Getting there alone was challenging at times. However, the real challenge, I learned, really began AFTER I got the degree and became a teacher. This year, as I've mentioned before, has been both rewarding and challenging and has really taught me a lot about who I am as a person and a teacher. Getting through this year, and taking all that I've learned to shape the years to come, is definitely a HUGE accomplishment. 


Speaking of surviving school.....it's standardized End Of Grade test week and my 3rd Grade "smartie pants" are ready to show what they know! :)

(Thanks for the inspiration Pinterest!)

Is anyone else taking standardized tests this week? Good luck if you are! 

Hugs,

Marianna

No comments:

Post a Comment