Thursday, July 26, 2012

Transformation: House to Home

After a longggg, grueling nine and a half weeks our house is officially a home!!
If you use the philosophy "home is where the heart is", I guess it's technically been a home since the day we bought it because let me tell you....our heart, sweat, blood, and tears have been in this house since day one. 
But our house is officially a home that I'm happy with!
Boxes are unpacked, most pictures are hung, and we've finally settled into our new place. 

It's simply delightful.


And...I finally feel ready to post official Before and After pictures.

Before I let you scroll through the pictures, I have a tiny disclaimer.
While a picture is usually worth a thousand words, these don't hardly do any justice to the extreme work we've done over the past few weeks.
{as mentioned earlier here}

The Before pictures don't show half of the disaster this house was when we got it. I didn't do a very good job of documenting the between process, because honestly, who had time. Between ripping out all the carpet, laying new floor, knocking out a wall, replacing the entire rotten bathroom floor (twice), stripping wallpaper in almost every room of the house, tearing contact paper off every shelf in the house, repainting EVERYTHING (walls, trim, cabinets, doors, windowsills, baseboards, ceiling), replacing light fixtures, hardware, doorknobs, installing ceiling fans, closets, a microwave, replacing washer/dryer, fridge....it has been EXHAUSTING to say the least.

But rewarding all at the same time. There's still a lot more I want to do, but all the big projects are done.

Enjoy tour de Dunn Household:

Trim BEFORE and AFTER
Everything (doors, windowsills, baseboards) was this ugly yellow color when we started. Now it's all white.

Cabinets BEFORE
See what I mean about the contact paper. It was everywhere. And there were only about ten different hellatious outdated patterns. 

Master Bedroom BEFORE
Look at that yucky carpet. Bleh.


Master Bedroom AFTER
Our (handmade) bed got a facelift too.

Master Closet BEFORE

Master Closet AFTER
Best money spent. Ever.

Master Bathroom BEFORE and AFTER

Foyer BEFORE
Well kind of before....this was after we started ripping down the horrendous wallpaper.

Foyer AFTER
This room's still a little bare...foyer's are hard rooms to fill. I've got some ideas up my sleeve though. Stay tuned.

Kitchen/Dining Room Wall BEFORE
Notice the HoverRound chair? Robbie reallyyyyy wanted to keep that, but it was a no-go.

First things first - that thing had to go. 
Chair and wall.

Kitchen BEFORE

Kitchen minus that claustrophobia-inducing wall AFTER
So much more room.

Same cabinets (for now), new hardware.

Dining Room also minus that claustrophobia-inducing wall AFTER

Living Room BEFORE

Living Room AFTER

I'm also just really proud of my china cabinet because now my fancy pants china (that I've never even used) isn't stuffed in boxes under my bed. 

Man Cave BEFORE

Man Cave AFTER
All full of Robbie's junk stuff. There will be a post soon about the importance of a man cave and why I think it is absolutely necessary for a successful marriage. 

Guest Room BEFORE

Guest Room AFTER
Still a little junky - but let's be real, when we don't have overnight guests it's our "catch-all" room.

Guest Room Closet BEFORE

Guest Room Closet AFTER

Sweet built-in desk, courtesy of my delightful husband!

Guest Bathroom BEFORE and AFTER

Laundry Room BEFORE and AFTER
Quite possibly my favorite room in the house.

Complete with an area dedicated to favorite four-legged babies.

Whew. I'm exhausted just looking at it all again. And if you made it all the way down here, you probably are too and should most definitely be rewarded with a cookie. No really...go get one! I know I am!

And remember folks...



Hugs,


8 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks like you guys have been really busy! I love all the color! My husband loves white walls for some reason! Compromise..that's the key! Ed has a "mancave" , which we call the "Fish Room." Anyway...our daughters 16 and 13 like to claim it as theirs!
    Thanks again for your help..most of what you said did work on my site....posting the award has been the real challenge.
    Check out my site....there may be something there for you.
    Thanks again.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You can come work on my house anytime you want. We have lived in our house about 9 years and it still looks like we just moved in. It looks great and I can tell you all did A LOT of work. I bet it feels wonderful knowing it's all done and now you can enjoy it.

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You have been busy, and it looks great! My husband and I just bought a house, but it is move-in ready. Neither one of us is very handy! :)

    Erin
    Elementary Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did all the in 9 1/2 weeks?! You work a lot faster than we do, ha! Everything look awesome! Enjoy your new home.
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can honestly not because that it achieved all of this in 9 1/2 weeks! It brings me great hope. After renovating for 10 months I know the aches and pains and penny watching and highs and lows that go with renovating.

    You guys should be so proud!

    I have created a few posts on renovating...especially ways to save money.

    http://unspokenconversationsbykirstyarnold.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Taking%20care%20of%20your%20hip%20pocket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your home looks amazing! The most amazing part is how quickly you were able to accomplish all that work! :)
    Enjoy your home!
    Amy
    Where Seconds Count

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you got a fixer-upper, didn't you! But it looks great now! I also hate wallpaper--spent my childhood scraping wallpaper with inexplicable designs include pineapples off of every wall of my parents' house. That stuff is evil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here I am...blog stalking...

    I love looking at before and after pictures of a remodel. Why? Because my boyfriend and I did the same thing to the house we're in. Except, I've been really, really, really bad about posting ANY pictures.

    I love your bathrooms. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete