Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bills Bills Bills






I feel like listening to that song makes the idea of having and paying bills not so bad. With that being said, this is not a post about budgeting, paying bills, or saving money. If you want to know my thoughts on any or all of the above : I hate it. All of it.

Moving on....yesterday I went to the seventh layer of hell, also known as the Verizon Wireless store. I loathe going to cell phone stores. I usually have to wait for-ev-er. And then I get pressured into something I don't want or need before I even know what happened.

Plus, have you ever noticed how all the salesmen look the same? Probably not...because I never had. Until yesterday. They looked like they could have all been related. Every last one of them. And while that's not really a valid reason to hate something it's just an observation I felt like sharing.

I went in yesterday, by myself, because we had a question about our bill. And by question, I mean problem. A problem we've been trying to fix since January. I braved yet another "ice storm" that eastern North Carolina is facing (go home, Mother Nature, you're drunk) to go talk to a representative because we couldn't get any help over the phone or on the internet and if Robbie went to talk to a representative there would have been a lot less talking and a lot more yelling. So I was the lucky one spending my evening at Verizon.

While I was there, waiting for them to fix our account, I thought about something. Besides the fact that all the guys that worked there looked the same, and the fact that the middle-aged man helping me had a picture of a duck-face selfie as his phone background. I thought about how ridiculous cell phones are. And not just cell phones, all of it. We're all so connected all the time. And while I love it and wouldn't want to change it even if I could, you have to admit...it's kind of stupid.

Our cell phone bill is my least favorite bill that comes each month. Apart from our mortgage, it's also one of the highest bills that comes every month. (This only holds true because all of our other bills are ridiculously low.) But it's the one bill that I wouldn't want to do without. It's also one of the hardest bills to cut back on. I want unlimited data and text messaging and 4G coverage and all that other stuff that lets me check Twitter every five seconds. In fact, the only thing that we've reduced over the years is the actual talking minutes we need on our phones. And hello? Isn't that supposed to be the whole purpose of a phone - to talk on it?



I don't really have a point to all of this, so I guess I can stop rambling now. I just can't help but think how silly it all is. With that being said, I think I'll go check Instagram on my phone now.






1 comment:

  1. If cell phones disappeared tomorrow, I would be elated. Seriously. I would have so much of my life back.

    ReplyDelete