Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What did you FON-DO this weekend?

So I know it's hump day, which means we're on the downslope into next weekend (hallelujah) but I have to share how I spent last weekend. Even if it's two days late.

~

Remember my way cool sister-in-law who turned eleven last month? Well just to validate how cool she is and how un-cool I was at her age, she had a fondue birthday party last weekend.

I was obviously invited roped into helping her mom prepare every thing, and y'all it was such a neat party idea. I love "out of the box" birthday party ideas. Sure pirate parties are fun and everyone loves a good jumpy house, but the different, creative parties that don't necessarily go over the top but are memorable all the same? Those are the best.




Delanie had decided she wanted to a do a fondue girl party a while ago. So her mom started scrounging up fondue pots and Melting Pot recipes, all the while keeping eleven year olds in mind. I wish I could say I had a lot of input on the preparation of everything, but really I was just the help. Delanie had planned and picked out everything perfectly. We just had to execute.

We started with the cheese. Nothing too fancy here. We did a swiss cheese fondue and then queso and salso (my fav - always). We also made pizza crackers, a Kinston local fav, that the girls went crazy for. Technically they had nothing to do with fondue but they were delicious.

Our "main course" was a pizza dip that I stumbled upon a few months ago.


Then it was time for the dessert, or as I like to call it - the best part of a fondue meal. We had a chocolate fountain, melted white chocolate, and the main dessert : bananas foster. Oh Emm Gee. Y'all. It was so good. Seriously my mouth is watering just thinking about it. We had fruit for days (which I haven't been able to get enough of lately) pound cake, rice crispies, brownies, marshmallows, any and everything you could think of. But truth be told - I would have eaten that bananas foster with a spoon. Seriously, the best.


My mother in law and I spent the entire afternoon munching (sorry gluten-free diet) while the girls came and went. Nibbled and giggled. Played games and opened gifts. It was a really laid back party, compared to when the twins were little. But that's how it works. All of a sudden just being able to hang out with your friends is the highlight of a party.



I think Delanie and her friends had a great time and I loved being able to be a part of it.


~


Oh and fun little fact - the first time me and Robbie really hung out was at my brother's 11th birthday party, almost ten years ago. The twins were one. That shit's cray.




2 comments:

  1. How fun! And classy for an 11 year old! Sure puts my "cat" parties to shame, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the coolest! I love those bags first of all - second of all, what a cool idea. 11 is such a weird age where you aren't a kid but not quite a teenager so it's hard to figure out a good celebration other than a party.

    ReplyDelete