Monday, January 6, 2014

Mix It Monday


Ugh. Monday. Also known as my first day back to reality in two glorious weeks. I love time off. A lot. But alas, it's back to school I go.

When I heard about Lauren's new link-up, I knew right away I wanted to participate. It worked out really well considering it's starting on my first day taking a shower before 5pm and putting on something other than pajamas back at work.

The whole premise behind Mix It Mondays is to take one piece of clothing, style it several different ways, and then share your look with your closest blogging friends. We all know that I am in no way, no how a fashion blogger, but I have been trying really hard lately to create new outfits from the same pieces that have been sitting in my closet forever.

Last January in fact, one of my Non-Resolutions was to dress better for work. Getting up at 5:30 in the morning and then spending the entire day surrounded by six-year-olds doesn't exactly inspire the fashionista in me but I was tired of using that as an excuse. However, another one of my non-resolutions was to stop spending so much money. Robbie and I have really had to tighten the reigns this past year and I'm proud to say that we've done really really good. But no-spending meant no new wardrobe which meant I had to get creative.

**Disclaimer - I don't have any fancy-posed outfit pics for now. That will be my goal for next week for sure!!

My most favorite piece of clothing to style has been this maxi-dress I found at TJ Maxx. It was the perfect maxi dress for summer and with a cardigan it easily transitioned into a "work" outfit. As it started getting colder, I began layering shirts on top to give it more of a maxi skirt look. The only problem I'm having with maxi skirts/dresses in winter are the shoes - I never know exactly what to pair them with.



Maxi dress, Starbucks, and elephants. Just a few of my favorite things.


Transitioning into fall.


And again, once it got really cold. 

I love how easy a maxi dress is to wear not to mention how comfortable they are (because let's face it, comfort is a big factor) while still looking nice and put together. 



What's your favorite piece of clothing to style?




Hugs,


3 comments:

  1. I adore a maxi dress, for all the reasons you listed. So comfy and such easy to transition through the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never owned a maxi dress--but I really like the striped pattern on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is so cute and I love how you transitioned it for colder temps! Thanks so much for linking up with Mix it Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete