Monday, May 27, 2013

Because of the Brave




Apparently the new thing to do via social media
is post an insightful, thought-provoking 
Memorial Day status that goes a little something like this...

"For those of you that think today is National BBQ Day, please remember the lives that were lost for you."

Don't get me wrong, I see the point,
just from a bit of a different angle.

I think today should be dubbed "National BBQ/Boat/Day-off Work/Beach Day"
because that's what America is all about - the freedom to do whatever the hell you want to on a day like this.

Sure, while we're enjoying all of those freedoms,
we should be mindful of the men and women that lost their lives
to ensure that we are able to day drink on the beach all day today.

But really, shouldn't we be mindful of those men and women everyday?
The fact that I can wake up on any given morning,
drive myself to a paying job
that I enjoy 95% of the time,
is because of those men and women.

The fact that I can sleep in on a Saturday
even though I have laundry and dishes that should be done instead
is because of those men and women.

The fact that I got to choose who I wanted to marry
and where I wanted to live
and what God I want to serve
is because of those men and women.

And those things happen all the time,
not just on Memorial Day.

So yes, for those of you that would like to know,
I am spending today in the sunshine
in a bathing suit
with my family and friends
celebrating the "unofficial" start of summer.
Tomorrow I will spend the day back at work
with 22 first grade babies
and amazing colleagues.

And throughout it all, I will remember 
the brave men and women 
that made all of it possible.


Happy Memorial Day!
And God Bless America!


Hugs,


No comments:

Post a Comment