Monday, December 17, 2012

Where I Belong

I've had this post written in my drafts for two weeks now.
I'm not sure why it never got published.
Maybe it was waiting for today. 
Today, when we could all use a little reminder
that whether we understand why or not, 
we are all right where we belong.

~

Friday night was one of the best nights I've had in a while. 
Despite the fact that I was battling a head cold.

For one, it was Friday. 
And payday.
But mainly because we went to see my brother-in-law 
sing with NewSong.

My nine-year-old brother-in-law
is seriously destined for stardom.
He has been blessed with pure talent,
and is not afraid to share it with the world.

Backstory: every year for their Christmas performance, 
the Christian band NewSong chooses a little boy
to sing The Christmas Shoes with them.
This year, they were coming to Kinston, NC as part of their Christmas tour
and Josh was asked to perform. 
Once upon a time, they asked a little boy by the name of Nick Jonas to perform with them.
And well, you should know how the rest of that little boy's story went.
Unless you live under a rock. 

Anyway, I don't know who was more nervous,
Josh, his mom, or me.
(It more than likely was not Josh, 
you know, with him being the superstar that he is.)
And when he walked on that stage, 
I don't know who was more proud.
I'm telling you, it was like he was my own.
I cried, I cheered, I whooped, my cheeks hurt from smiling.
My future kids are doomed.



Also, for those of you under-the-rock dwellers,
you can listen to the song here.
Be prepared to cry.

~

Once Josh performed,
and my heart was finally beating at a normal rate,
I was able to actually focus on the concert,
the music and the message.

Warning - here's where this post might get a little deep.

While I definitely consider myself a Christian,
I am not one to wear my faith on my sleeve.
I don't hide it, by any means.
But I also don't speak it everywhere I go.
In fact, people that do kind of get on my nerves.
Not because I don't think they should.
The Bible tells us to be fishermen of men
and as Christians it is our job to help other people see 
the awesome truth that we've been told. 
But I've just never been the one to approach someone and say
"hey, let me tell about this great guy I know named Jesus."

For me, being a Christian means loving everyone
and treating people with respect,
helping those in need,
being selfless and lifting people up,
having an open heart and listening ears.

"Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to LOVE one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law."
-Romans 13:8

I want the way I treat people
to be what encourages them to find Jesus
and accept the unconditional love He has for them,
so they too can love like He does.
(Or try to at least.)

Obviously, last night I was definitely feeling the love
and wanting to share the love.
The fact that it was a Christmas concert only amplified all of this. 

And I am now officially obsessed with Francesca Battistelli.
Particularly this song.
For your listening pleasure.


However, there was one part of the show 
that really got me thinking
(well a little more than all the other parts of the show at least).
Robbie said I was over thinking.
To that I say, what else is new.

But there was this one song by Building 429.
It was a great song,
don't get me wrong.
And their guitar player (who looked just like Pete Wentz) was rocking it out.
But the whole premise behind the song
was that this place, here on Earth, is not where we belong.
There is something much greater waiting for us.

And this is what makes me feel like a bad Christian.
Because, I agree with half of that.
I definitely believe that there is something much greater waiting for us.
Something that my earthly mind and body can't even begin to fathom.

But I feel like for now, I am right where I belong. 

Not all the time.
Lord knows I get lost and off track 
and I've probably definitely made choices 
that have put me somewhere where God did not want me to be. 
But I don't think God put us on Earth with the sole purpose of waiting to get to Heaven.

That's not to say I don't try to live my life for Him (see above ^^)
so that I can go to Heaven....one day.
But I believe I have an earthly purpose too. 
And that's why I'm here.
This is where I belong. 
Not for eternity, of course.
But for now. 

I don't think we should be living our lives feeling like we don't belong here on Earth.
Like this is just a place to pass the time until we get the true treasure of Heaven.
Obviously, the ultimate treasure is in Heaven.
I don't doubt that for a second. 
But there a lot of treasures here on Earth too.
And there's a lot of good and love that can be found and spread here. 
And that's how I think we should be living.
Appreciating the Earthly treasures that come from above.
Our families, our health, our dog-hair filled homes,
His unconditional love that we have here
And His guiding voice that will help us live the way we are supposed to here on Earth.

One day, I'll leave this Earth and live in Heaven 
and it'll be a pretty great day.
But there are pretty great days here on Earth too
that I feel blessed I get to enjoy.

Like listening to this little boy sing The Christmas Shoes




Hugs,



P.S. If you made it all the way down here,
thanks for the listening ears...eh, eyes?

P.S.#2. After I wrote this post, I read this baby over at Life of Bon. Basically, you could ignore everything I just said and just read her eloquent words. She rocks, forreals.

No comments:

Post a Comment